CRX Performance Forums

Home of the CRX elders.
It is currently Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: H-Motors Online
Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:16 pm 

meh... spent a couple hours roaming through the local salvage yard... it ends up being the same cam gear in 88-95 d-series - all stamped pm3b. i think the 96-00 cam gears are the only different ones being 4* advanced. some reading earlier told me that d15b2 owners who went with a d16a6 cam had to use a y8 (96-00) cam gear to get back to 0*, which just verifies your thinking that i'm about 4.5* advanced by using a d15 cam in an a6 cyl head. aem adjustable cam gear here i come!

'90 CRX Si - the commuter
'68 Mustang GT - the racer

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:16 pm 

Yup. You now know more than Julio. =/

I might visit the left coast once, but you sure as shootin' aren't going to find me there much. Ever. heh

Keep us posted with what happens.

My quench is tighter than yours! :P

How To Tune OBD0 with TurboEdit

My fabrication blog.

Profile E-mail  

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:52 am 

hey beav, i was crunching some numbers earlier, taking into consideration the y8 headgasket i used, an a6 block and a6 cyl head.... and comparing against a b2 block/cylhead, i've calculated the differences to be about 5.536deg of cam timing. most of that is because the deck height of the b2 is about 2.75mm shorter than the a6, resulting in a timing belt 1 tooth shorter - both using the same 38 tooth cam timing gear. so my situation is basically the reverse, meaning my d15 cam in an a6 head gives me ~5.5deg advanced cam timing. an adjustable cam gear retarded to about 4deg should yield good results (retarding one whole tooth just put me at about 4deg retarded cam timing, which is why it was still barely pinging, but not as bad as 5.5deg advanced - dynamic compression). aem adjustable tru time cam gear is ordered - should be here by the middle of next week. let's hope it all works out!

Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:42 pm 

hey beav, would an atmel at29c256-90pi be an acceptable reprogrammable chip to use? i've seen the -70pc (one-time programmable) being used in the past, but i dont think it's available anymore. i'd have to see if my old-school programmer can even write to that chip....

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:21 pm 

just a quick update:

an aem adjustable cam gear came in today, so the bisi cam went back into the sohc zc. with the cam gear adjusted to around 5.5* retarded, the engine was again happy! well, i can hear what sounds like a very faint detonation under 3k rpm, which could be a lean condition at that rpm range due to the stock pm6 ecu, or underscavanging (as proposed by beav) from the stock exhaust manifold. i tried to get one heat range colder (7's) spark plugs, but the idiots at autozone couldnt get their computer to locate me some. now where's my chip burner.... 8)

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:38 pm 

You have to give the idiots behind the counter the new part number of the plugs, or ask for the stock plugs from a 90's Saab turbo engine.

Those chips should be fine.

I'm hardcore studying for classes now and don't check the forums too much. Email me if you need tog et a hold of me.

My fabrication blog.

Profile E-mail  

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:25 am 

just to update this thread, i double checked what kind of rom burning hardware i have and it's an old microchip picstart plus - capable of burning onto PIC microcontrollers. i remember using it back in the day to burn original playstation modding chips and old school pioneer cable box modding chips. i think there's an update to let it burn other flash chips, but i believe it's still in the same family (microchip only). and SO, i just ordered a moates burn2 with 5 sst 27SF512. from what i understand, it's a drop-in for the at29c256 - please correct me if i'm wrong? i should have it by wednesday/thursday this week....

on a sidenote, i need to setup ecucontrol for datalogging - what all would i need other than a wideband o2 sensor? i'm assuming i'd need to solder a header for a usb or rs232 cable connection to my laptop?

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:58 am 

I use a hulog, but you can use any ttl to usb converter.

My fabrication blog.

Profile E-mail