CRX Performance Forums

Home of the CRX elders.
It is currently Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2012 Cars most similar in spirit to the CRX when it launched
Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:47 pm 

OK so we know it wasn't the ultimate sports car when it came out. It was a great blend of light weight performance, utility, economy and styling. The average dude could actually afford one, and use it for daily commuting, spirited driving, hauling cargo, whatever. Keeping in mind what the CRX was when it came out.. what is the best choice in 2012 to fill that role? I think we've done this before, but lets do it again taking in to account new 2012 models.

Here is my take. Since the hatch market has moved to five-doors I'd be looking at those. The 2012 Rio has a claimed 138hp, weight is 2400 pounds and the price isn't bad. I'd have to test drive one, but I think this might fill my #1 spot. The Versa 1.8L is another choice with decent power/weight/price. The yaris and of course the fit are decently light and nimble also. Can you guys think of any other good light car choices? What would your choice be?

Post subject: Re: 2012 Cars most similar in spirit to the CRX when it launched
Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:51 pm 

I'd throw in the Abarth and the Mini Coupe (and the Roadster). Someone is eventually going to say the Veloster, but I do not think that it has the requisite fun factor, from reviews I've read. Maybe when they throw in the Genesis turbo...

Then there are the BRZ/86 twins. RWD, but light and tossable. Then if you're willing to go a bit further, the Nissan Juke can come with a manny.

Due to safety regs, nothing's really going to be the same again, but you can't live forever in the past, either. :)

Profile E-mail  

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:46 pm 

I was gonna say the 86/BRZ, but it has a boxer engine and too much Subaru for it to be reliable.

I think we all may sound like our forefathers at the end of the 70s and early 80s . . . But I certainly understand how they feel, though . . . I think that the current trends in automotive styling and engineering are really not good for the driver at all. I don't mean commuters or DFOs, but actual drivers who can't afford the really excellent cars on the market.

I mostly won't buy anything that's OBDII. Heck, my next vehicle might be a pick 'em up truck, but is sure the )(#$(*#$ won't be anything complicated and likely not from the past 30 years . . .

My quench is tighter than yours! :P

How To Tune OBD0 with TurboEdit

My fabrication blog.

Profile E-mail  

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:34 pm 

Adjusted for inflation how much would a CRX cost in 2012? I thought the fiat arbath and mini were priced a little high to be a similar value. Maybe I'm wrong.

Yeah... looks like I'm dead wrong! Per http://www.westegg.com/inflation/
What cost $15000 in 1988 would cost $27283.84 in 2010.

Also, if you were to buy exactly the same products in 2010 and 1988,
they would cost you $15000 and $8048.59 respectively.

Do you want to do another calculation?
!

:shock:

Last edited by vanilla ice on Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:32 am 

Just did it - 3% inflation (compounded monthly), car was bought for $12,500 on 12/31/90 (since the only important crx is the 1990 version :lol: ), and the current price would be $23,405. Which is about the starting price of the Mini Roadster, $900 less than the Mini Coupe S, and should be about where the base Abarth should land. The CRX wasn't really a "bargain car" at the time.

Profile E-mail  

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:42 am 

We must have been typing at the same time. I never got an EF new, that is my excuse for not knowing better! Carry on, Arbath 500 and Mini S are fair game for comparison.

I'm gettin old, the 5-doors are looking more attractive than the funner cars.

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:51 pm 

I like the Arbath better than the Mini Coupe, but the Arbath should just have 2 seats. Interestingly from what I saw at the auto show here, I think the Fiat rear seats have more legroom than the Mini Cooper, albeit still useless in my opinion.

How about the Scion iQ?

Profile E-mail  

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:39 pm 

iQ's slushbox only I believe, no? And if so, you'd have to include the Smart, which should be included in any list, unless it's a sh*t list. :D

Yes, I do think that the Fiat is slightly more practical than a Mini. Probably will have better reliability too, since Mini's is pretty dreadful. I liked driving the stock 500 around SoHo, felt pretty good. Abarth can only be better.

Profile E-mail  

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:19 pm 

Ugh. Friends don't let friends drive Fiats . . . =(

My fabrication blog.

Profile E-mail  

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:10 pm 

The_Acid_Beaver wrote:
Ugh. Friends don't let friends drive Fiats . . . =(

Based on the measley sales that keep going further south, you might have a point there.

Profile E-mail  

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:59 pm 

You mean the J-lo ad didn't help? heh

They seem like fairly OK cars, but, geez . . . It's ugly and expensive. At least the new Mini looks good (IMO).

It really is too bad the FR-S was made with so many Subaru bits . . . That's a pretty darn good looking car and Toyota contracted with Yamaha to get the heads done. That's a step in the right direction, but I really don't know WHY they went with Subaru's )(#*$(#$ boxer junk. I hate boxer engines with a passion. Just try to change the )#(*$#(*)$ spark plugs.

My fabrication blog.

Profile E-mail  

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:53 am 

Looks are subjective, of course. I happen to like the looks of the 500 better than the Mini, especially in Abarth form. It's also a hell of a lot more comfortable than the Minis from the driver's seat, esp. with the height-adjustable seat - you don't feel nearly as claustrophobic.

Everyone on the 500 absolutely hates the J-ho ads, and with good reason. That was before it was known that she wasn't even taping in NYC for her portion. :roll:

Of course, the woman heading FIAT USA has just been fired. It's a mess. Looking forward to my Abarth test drive in the spring anyway.

Profile E-mail  

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:42 am 

Fiat needs to sell out of somebody else's dealer network. That way maybe the brand can survive on realistic sales numbers.

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:43 pm 

Dang. I am so not with any automotive news, but I saw an interview with that chick, and . . . she was not confidence inspiring. heh

I haven't sat it on, but when a car is shaped like my Fedora . . . I want to pick it up and put it on, not get in it and drive away. LOL!

My fabrication blog.

Profile E-mail  

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:10 am 

the mazdaspeed 3 is actually a quite nimble and capable autocrosser when fitted with some good rubber! pretty competitive and surprisingly peppy! and yes, it's a 5-dr! from an aftermarket standpoint, the honda fit has a pretty big following - the rest of the competition (yaris, versa, etc) feel really sluggish. the mazdaspeed 3 looks sportier and definately has more power than those choices (including the fit!)

'90 CRX Si - the commuter
'68 Mustang GT - the racer

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:22 pm 

I read the 3 is several hundred pounds heavier than the fit, but even the non-speed version with the 2.3L seems like it has decent power at 150hp. Mazda has some interesting new engines coming out for 2012.

Nissan managed to knock 150 pounds off of their 2012 Versa sedan. Its pretty weak at 109hp but the 2350 curb impressed me. I wish some of the other guys would knock weight off.

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:27 am 

vanilla ice wrote:
I read the 3 is several hundred pounds heavier than the fit, but even the non-speed version with the 2.3L seems like it has decent power at 150hp. Mazda has some interesting new engines coming out for 2012.

Nissan managed to knock 150 pounds off of their 2012 Versa sedan. Its pretty weak at 109hp but the 2350 curb impressed me. I wish some of the other guys would knock weight off.

yeah, the 3 does have a couple hundred more pounds on her, but she feels a lot lighter than she tips the scales! mazda's have always impressed me with how well they handled off the showroom floor. the versa, although lighter weight, just felt sluggish from mid rpm to redline. the power it produces is definately a climbing torque curve, but nothing the butt-dyno would even scream about. plus, any of these newer hatches (except the mazdaspeed 3) with their higher rooflines makes it feel like a lot of weight is thrown around at higher speed corners. makes it a bit harder to manipulate the car when the weight is seemingly higher than the chassis....

'90 CRX Si - the commuter
'68 Mustang GT - the racer

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:18 am 

I just can't get interested in a car that doesn't have a sunroof available, though. And that integrated red-lit stereo always makes me think of Tron, and not in a good way.

Profile E-mail  

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:10 am 

hahahaahahah! That always has bothered me about my friend's 6. Red is such an unattractive color for stuff, IMO, even if it is better for "night vision."

My fabrication blog.

Profile E-mail  

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:23 pm 

tommy wrote:
I'd throw in the Abarth and the Mini Coupe (and the Roadster). Someone is eventually going to say the Veloster, but I do not think that it has the requisite fun factor, from reviews I've read. Maybe when they throw in the Genesis turbo...

The reviews you're reading are looking for a fast car. The Veloster isn't fast, but neither was the CRX. In fact, the CRX is a little slower to 60 than the Veloster is. I drove one a month or so ago, and I was really surprised with how CRX-like it felt. Sharp handling, tossable, low weight (for today, anyway), and the interior was really very nicely done. If you want a modern sharp-handling fast car, the Veloster isn't it, but if you want a modern CRX, it's as close as I've found.

Profile E-mail  

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:45 pm 

I dont get how the Veloster is heavier than the Rio and Accent. Isn't it smaller? wtf.

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:16 pm 

I just looked at the Veloster. It is interesting, but I #)($*)(*#$ HATE "packages". I would only want the sunroof. That's it. I don't want anything else. I think 17 or 18" rims are just stupid, too.

My fabrication blog.

Profile E-mail  

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:06 pm 

I also don't like giant wheels with the ridiculously small sidewalls. I'll take the 14's or 15's. Cheaper and ride better.

Talking power to weight, Koreans look like 17 or 18 pounds per horse. The Fit Versa Yaris and Mazda2 are all in the 20's. 2nd gen CRX Si was what, 19?

Nobody has any thoughts about the Mazda2, Fiesta or Chevy? They are all sub 2500lbs.. personally I wouldn't be shopping new cars over 2500lbs or $15k. Looks like there are still a few fun choices below that so why go over.

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:04 pm 

Ugly, uglier and ugliest?

At least the Veloster looks halfway decent.

I dislike most things with Macpherson struts. *sighs* I'm never going to buy a new car.

My fabrication blog.

Profile E-mail  

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:16 pm 

Ugly doesn't bother me anymore. I think its that everything is so damn ugly now its just not worth weighing (like you say) different degrees of ugliness.

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:16 pm 

vanilla ice wrote:
I dont get how the Veloster is heavier than the Rio and Accent. Isn't it smaller? wtf.

No, the Accent and Rio are smaller than the Veloster.

Profile E-mail  

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:27 am 

Of course, the CRX is at least 20 years old, so you would think that it SHOULD be slow in comparison to a new car, no? I really haven't seen much advancement in the intervening 20 years - where's the substantial progress? And no, I don't mean bluetooth, nav, SNYC, or back-up cameras. OBDII makes for more headaches. Cars are safer, at the expense of economy and weight. They're bigger, yet are impossible to see out of.

Despite the lack of a sunroof, I'd be tempted to get the Fit; it's available with a good manny, is tossable, and gets good gas mileage. That's almost impossible to get these days, imho, in a new car. The Fiesta looks good; I'd have to drive it, but I've always been paranoid about long-term quality with a Ford vehicle.

BTW - I think this thread has gotten more activity than this whole forum had for the past couple of years. :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:32 pm 

I was disappointed with the Fit. It feels tall, and kind of like you're driving a squished minivan. But then I'm disappointed in Honda in general these days. They're becoming dull.

I wouldn't touch a Ford. We have a fleet of Fords at work, and they suck. Maintenance issues, crappy assembly, etc.

And I wouldn't think the CRX should be slow in comparison to a new car. That's the whole problem we have today, and it's one of the reason gas is $3.20 and more a gallon. Instead of applying engine advancements to getting better fuel economy, every time we figure out how to make a more fuel efficient vehicle, we make the engine bigger for more power.

That's not a bad thing for an enthusiast car, but why in hell does the Accord have 272 horsepower? It's a family car. It's for going to work and taking the kids to school. Our family cars now have better performance numbers than old Lamborghinis, and we sit around wondering why they get crappy mileage. Raw power should be reserved for the enthusiast market. Soccer moms and middle managers who view cars as appliances to be used for transportation don't need powerful engines.

Profile E-mail  

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:20 pm 

I really don't mind the Fit at all. The only two I've ever driven have been slushboxes, but, overall, it hasn't bee an entirely unpleasant experience even on longer trips, and even sitting in the back presents little problem for me.

The only Ford I will ever own is a truck, and nothing newer than what is emissions exempt. heh

My fabrication blog.

Profile E-mail  

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:46 am 

I still want my flying car. When's that gonna happen?

Profile E-mail