CRX Performance Forums

Home of the CRX elders.
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: B16 or ZC or Supercharger?
Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:32 am 

Most of the talk on this forum is about ZCs or B16s. Is the insatllation of a Supercharger on a D16 a mistake? I'm looking for more horsepower (of course) but want to stay legal. The JRSC will take care of this but is it so disappointing that nobody talks about it? Feedback from JRSC owners (or anyone else) is appreciated.

Post subject:
Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:06 am 

do a all motor b16... that will keep it legal... around my area SC's are not legal for street... ahh well

Post subject:
Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:10 am 

The JRSC can be a good thing, but it needs work. The fuel "management" that comes with the kit sucks. The best thing to do is to get some 450cc DSM injectors and chip your ECU to let it control boost for you. Don't even bother installing the "management" that comes with the kit. that's the biggest factor for the kit sucking. If you eliminatet aht with something that allows more control, you're good to go, and go fast.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Beave's right
Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:05 am 

The rising rate regulator setup kinda sucks. The sc kit can be made to work well, it's just that the price on that "kit" goes up significantly. I'm using the 450 injectors, Bosch fuel pump, CommandFlo adjuster, and Zdyne ecu. That's about $1360 retail worth of extras.......

I've actually gone both ways. My dad's ZC'd car now used my old JRSC setup. My CRX has a B18C5 in it. While my CRX sits and sits, and I use my dad's CRX for autocross duty. Your decision really needs to be based on what you're going to use the car for. All motor B16s can be impressive, but I've yet to see an all motor B16 setup running 91 octane with a torque curve like what I'm getting with the blower. My torque hangs between 140 lb-ft and 145 lb-ft at the wheels for 3500 rpm worth of revs. Heck, at 2500 rpm this setup is already putting 130 lb-ft to the wheels and it never falls back below that again. I'm confident that going to the larger crank pulley and water injection will easily break 200 whp on 91 octane.

This SC talk is not to say that I haven't absolutely hated this setup as well. It's hard on drive belts, and you always need to carry a spare (I carry two) as well as the necessary tools to get you down the road should you chew up a belt. It also takes a dyno to get the tune right. If you don't have a dyno, you'd better have access to a wide-band O2 setup for in car tuning. A good B16, or better yet, B18C setup would make for a VERY nice street car, and probably give you a lot less headaches when it's all running and tuned properly.

If you're going to put this setup in a CRX and autocross it, you'll be far more successful with the blower kit, as any B series drop in will not be capable of supplying the low rev range torque the blower will provide. If this setup is just for street fun, the B series drop in with some bolt ons will make you very happy. Just make sure you do your homework so that the setup will pass smog if you have smog testing in your area. The JRSC "kit" is CARB certified. An imported B16 is not, if I recall correctly.

There are some impressive dyno graphs floating around for high compression B16 setups, but many of these require higher than 91-92 octane. I once thought I was going to play the high octane game, but I realized it was going to be more expensive, and sort of a pain in the butt to boot. Most of us drive our cars to the races, which would necessitate running a higher octane mixture just to get there. High octane to race, and at least a mixture to return home. I have a lot more fun knowing that all I'll need is 91 octane to handle my business.

I'm not sure If I've answered any questions directly, but I hope this gives you a few things to think about.

Adam

Profile E-mail